Thursday, November 20, 2008

Solaris 10, ZFS, and Dell JBODs - Redux - Update

As promised, here are the results of adding a second disk array to the SunFire V240. Interestingly, I didn't really see much of a performance boost by adding the second array:


The iozone charts above show the sequential read and write performance with two Dell PV220s disk arrays attached. Write performance stayed pretty much the same, and read performance only improved by about 200MB/second. Now, both of these arrays are plugged into the same SCSI controller, so either I've reached the capacity of the SCSI card or the server's PCI bus.

I think it's far more likely that the SCSI controller is simply doing all it can to keep up. I am now looking into moving the second disk array to its own SCSI controller. I expect this will yield yet another boost in performance. I'm not sure about the ramifications of trying to migrate 14 out of 28 disks in a single zpool to another controller. I'll have to research that one a bit.

No comments: